Monday, June 11, 2007

Publishing content

The company I am currently working for wants its new website implemented using a JBoss Portal system.
The current website uses Apache Lenya as CMS but with a nightly export to static HTML pages. This prevents instant publishing of single items.
Some of the entry pages contain lists showing recently changed items, news items etc. These lists are handcrafted while based on certain criteria, these lists could be generated automagically.

Other area's of the companies presence on the internet provided web applications like my.epoline and esp@cenet, these applications, and others, need to be part of the main website, hence a portal solution is chosen.
Based on some demo content, portlets have been developed that shows the content and provides means of navigating through the content.

In the architecture it has been chosen that each portal server instance will have its own dedicated read only JCR compliant repository (A.K.A. the rendering repository), physically separated from the CMS's repository (A.K.A. the authoring repository).

Since content written by authors in the end will have to enter the rendering repositopry, we need a process that takes care of that, the publication process. Currently I am working on that publication process.

As CMS system we have chosen alfresco. So my first task is to get alfresco up and running on JBoss on my dev box.

Since I don't like prepackaged downloads, I downloaded the war file package of alfresco 2.0, the alfresco sdk and the alfresco WCM package.
I wanted to create a dedicated JBoss server instance for alfresco so I copied the default server configuration and named it alfresco. I dumped the war file in JBoss's deploy directory, changed the database configuration following the database configuration topic at alfresco wiki.

The app server started up fine, so far so good...

Next thing, exporting content, is the subject of a future posting.

CU then

No comments: